Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Motors, cylinders, and other frames.

The camera is back in service. The motors arrived yesterday. Motorman is definitely going to be my supplier of motors for the future. Excellent products at excellent prices!

The 2-8-0 runs magnificently with the surplus Maxon coreless 2232 installed. Not bad for $15 (retail it would be more like $150). It has enough power to slip like a real locomotive if your are too aggressive with the throttle. It coasts for more than a foot at moderate speeds when the power is cut. I calculated its minimum speed at under 0.1 mph. I have never run such a nice locomotive before.

I've also elected to use a 2522 and a Canon can motor in my #1 and #2 NKP hudsons respectively...the shaft speed was too great for the current gearing in my hudsons (or at least I think it is).

I've also made progress on my cylinder block. The cylinders themselves are close to ready.
Photobucket

Liam's 2-6-0 rods are ready for testing. The frame needs a small adjustment as the lead driver sits 0.050" too far forwards...
Photobucket

No comments: