Friday, May 1, 2009

Current as of today

This week, I managed to form the Laird crosshead guides. I still have to add a few details to each and glue the piston in place, but they are in nice shape now. I've carefully engineered the parts for smooth motion. I was thwarted by my scale during the creation of the yoke...my scale has two 2s in a row...one for reading from left to right on the 1 1/2" scale, and another for right to left with the 3" scale. My as built drawings are 1 1/2"...and I measured them as being 2'7" instead of 1'7" thanks to the 3" 2 being the same mark as the 1 1/2" 1. Er. I taped over it to avoid that repeating that mistake again.

Here is the frame with the cylinder block in place and the frame extensions for the pilot...
Photobucket
I've temporarily added some spacers to illustrate the apprx motor elevation. You can also see the size of the boiler...minus its rivet overlays.

Here are the ends of the cylinder block:
Photobucket
I'll be adding the steam chests soon...but they aren't as essential for smooth performance since I won't be adding working Stephenson Valve Gear. (but I'm temped to do so...)

Here are the Laird crossheads with the main rods attached:
Photobucket
They look better in person.

-----------------------------------------
I've repowered, for now, one of my NKP hudsons. It has a Cannon motor in it now. Runs both quietly and smoothly...adjectives not applicable to it when it had the open frame motor. I can't wait to see the other with its coreless motor...as it will run even better.
Photobucket
Here it is visiting the Isle of Sodor...the only HO track currently set up in the family homestead.

Photobucket
Little man was excited about it. Unfortunately, it kept shorting as the brass tender and cab have opposite polarities...and touch on the super sharp Sodor curves. Note that Liam is wearing a train shirt...he's a good kid.

No comments: