Thursday, April 23, 2009

Frame 3.0

I kept tweaking the frame...even though it was fairly smooth...as I noticed an occasional bind. I tried filing it a bit, but the performance degraded. I decided last night to build a new jig and start over on the frame. I'm convinced that the old frame was slightly off being square. The new frame is more precise, more robust, and square. I also made this one 0.020" wider to deal with one of my other gripes with the old one.

Another change was that I decided to reverse the #2 & #3 drivers due to the old #3 having a slightly recessed crankpin. I decided that it would be nice to have that on the main crankpin...so I decided to moved it to the #2 spot. This caused a potential issue with a support and the gear on the new #3 driver. I dealt with this by removing the gear with my gear puller. This led to me having to requarter this driver. My NWSL Quarterer I couldn't handle the axles (I believe that I previously mentioned this). Accordingly, I couldn't be certain that some of my troubles weren't due to quartering. So, I got out my trusty jeweler's saw and modified my quarterer to accept the axles. I then quartered every driver precisely.

Now, it is completely bind free...very smooth. That means that I need to get the cylinders and main rods together. If that works smoothly, it will be ready for the motor and for detailing. I want to have it running flawlessly before I begin the comestic work. (this saved me quite a bit by being able to junk the old frame without losing effort spent on detailing).

My camera is temporarily out of action, but in a future post I'll have photos of my new jig, modified quarterer, and new frame.

No comments: