Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Colorado Central 23' flat car castings

I decided it was time to try preparing a 2-part mold using my new rubber. Since the passenger car parts are large and hence could waste a lot of material, I decided to create the molds for my 23' Colorado Central flatcar. Additionally, it gives me a ready-to-sell product in the event that a need a revenue stream prior to having the passenger cars ready. The first castings were rejects, but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are good enough to use/sell. I've cleaned up two of these:

Photobucket
Here's a deck and frame sitting on a pair of incomplete trucks. Not shown are the two sets of levers that I'm including in the kits (one for power brakes, one for manual only).

Here's a view showing some of the details:
Photobucket

And the comparison shot against a DSP&P 26' flatcar.
Photobucket

The gondola sides are in the works, and the portion of the mold for the option intermediate sills was a bust. I'm in the process of building the first to kits to verify that scrubbing the parts is sufficient for removing the mold release residue...an issue I've had with some of the Oahu Railway coach parts which may not have been scrubbed. Once I'm happy with paint adhesion and assembly, I'll punch out a as many parts as the mold with give me, and then offer them for sale based off of the time and material each kit required to make (I'm hoping for $20-25 for the flat car, and $30-35 for the gondola version...both less trucks, couplers, decals, and probably brake wheels...all preference decisions which will vary from modeler to modeler).

No comments: