Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cleaning up windows

The majority of the time needed to create passenger car sides is spent on the windows. I'm cleaning up the 60 windows I cast to create the car sides. I need at least 28 double pane windows for the combine and baggage cars. I need 17 single pane windows for the chair cars. I'll take the best windows and use them in the masters, and then the rejects will likely go to a friend in Chicago who has previously generously helped other friends/South Park modelers.

Photobucket

Above the 17 windows needed for the chair car, I have a Barney & Smith coach side. The B&S coaches was within 2" of the chair cars in length, and so they are give a good feel for how the windows will be spaced. Similarly, I've put the 11 arched windows needed for one side of the combine (with a space left for the baggage door) next to an Oahu Railway coach side, which minus the corner moldings is 1'4" longer than the combine. In the middle are extra windows plus the four needed for the baggage car side. I'll clean up the remainder of the photos prior to assembling the sides.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, as of today, we have a 1 week old daughter. Despite being off work for this splendid event, I haven't had any additional hobby time. I attempted to take our 2 year old son to the local Wonder of the World, an 80,000sq ft model railroad, but learned after we got there that they are closed Weds from January thru March. We made up for it by stopping by one of the dozen local railroad yards...the only one with passenger cars...and let him watch a little switching (he loves that sort of thing).

No comments: