Monday, March 29, 2010

Interior detail

I don't know when to stop. After waiting over a week for a chance to visit the LHS for more 2"x2" (actually 0.040"x0.040") styrene to properly build this part, I can't decide where to stop with the details. I was going to skip the paneling above the windows since it was a) not normally visible and b) removed from the cars in can service and c) varied slightly between the cars. But, I have now gone ahead and added the most common variation...with a couple touches left to consider adding.

I like it. I've left the footboard off. It'll be a detail to be added separately, so that if someone screws up with assembly...it is okay (it also gives me slightly looser tolerances when casting).

I'm still waiting on some additional info for the frame. I'll probably build a prototype frame for car #1 so that I can take a completed car to the local NMRA meet (April 18th). Haven't yet decided if she'll be a coach or a combine. The contest category is passenger cars. I'm planning to finish DSP&P #40 and #051 as well for that day (I need to order alphabet sheets so I can letter them. The Oahu cars require a custom font...the Mrs. will be helping me with that). #40 needs the underframe taken care of and the roof surfaced/painted. #051 needs its lights replaced, an interior built, and brake gear. Both need end platforms/steps. I'm going to use a combination of an 1886 WABCo catalog I found online in conjunction with a 1900 WABCo catalog I've borrowed from my dad and the 1879 Car Builder's Dictionary to produce more accurate parts than I believe to be commercially offered (for now).

Sometime after that, I'll submit my entries for my Car Builders Achievement Award and I'll be presenting a mini-clinic at the May NMRA meet on scratch building detail parts. I have to put aside all 1:1 research of the Oahu Railway between now and then so that I don't get distracted.

No comments: