Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Production has begun!

Today, production casting was initiated on the Oahu Railway coaches. I have yet to develop the interior and floor masters, as well as the roof mold, but I want good side castings first. After a few technical difficulties over the last few days, today I reached production quality. I am comfortable putting my name on parts this good...nearly air bubble free, smooth surfaces, and very thin flash. I'll upload some photos soon...

In the process, I've learned a few tips to integrate into the next kits. I'm really looking forward to the Barney & Smith cars. Thanks to Mr. Brian Norden, I now know where to go for SP drawings of the trucks...which means that I'll hopefully be able to build them. Today, I tracked down a means of having "BARNEY & SMITH MF'G CO. DAYTON. O." on the parts. The book, The Birth of California Narrow Gauge, has a great photo of an 1876 B&S pedestal...it is a clone of the "V&T" market pedestals (copies of the B&S parts) currently under C&C #2 (thanks to Mr. Andrew Brandon for showing a really clear photo of one).

No comments: