Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chittenango Falls

I've decided to scratch build a Pullman sleeper lounge car. The car is Pullman plan 4086...a 6 bedroom, buffet-lounge car. I'm building for my father owned it when I was a little kid...the Chittenango Falls. She was built in 1939 and served on the Commodore Vanderbilt. She was sold to Ted Church in 1964 and my father purchased her and 1941 NYC Pullman built coach 2600 sometime before I can remember (probably before I was born).

Here's the sides so far...so much faster and easier than an On3 passenger car...

I will probably finish the B&S coaches before this car...as they have a higher priority for me.

2 comments:

Grand Lake Independent said...

I recently came across the Chittenango Falls Pullman Car in Northwest Ohio sitting abandoned on a side rail.
For photos visit:
http://jpontslerstudio.imagekind.com

I've been trying to find out the history behind the car, but haven't been able to get any through searches (that's how I found your blog, great by the way)

Michael said...

Feel free to email me any questions you have about the car. The current owner, Denny, hasn't worked on her for the past few years. She was near Ft. Wayne, Indiana throughout the late eighties and early nineties. In the mid-90s she was moved to Wapak. My father sold his interest in the car to his partner shortly there after. Denny has purchased a car down here in Cincinnati for the trucks/wheels with the intention of installing them under the Chittenango Falls.

The car was built in 1939 to the same standards of the most famous passenger train in the world...the 20th Cent. Limited. It was sold in 1964 (?) to Ted Church. My father purchased her sometime in the 70's or early 80's along with NYC coach 2600. Him and Denny restored the 2600 in downtown Wapak in the mid-late 1980s.

The interior of the Falls series cars had a bathroom at one end, then 6 bedrooms...each with hide-a-bed couches and drop down berths...plus sinks and hidden toilets. Each pair of bedrooms had a divider which could be opened for families. Next was the tiny galley...all stainless steel (or aluminum?) cabinets. And lastly was a fine Art Deco dining room.

The exterior has been restored to her post-ww2 appearance. I don't know how much work Denny has performed on the AC, electric systems, and brakes. The interior still needs work.

The other car is just being stored there iirc.