Monday, August 24, 2009

More carlines

Here are the carlines. The deck carlines are 2" tall. The rafters haven't yet had their undersides formed...but they'll be 6" wide at the base and 2" tall on along the length.


The patterns I used are at the top-left of the picture. For the deck carlines (top of the clerestory), I only used the patterns to form the top curves and then my calipers to mark the bottoms of these...followed by cutting the bottom sides out.


I have three main options as to where to go next:
1) form the clerestory sides/windows
2) form the end curves
3) cut out the undersides of the rafters.

I've chosen #1. I decided to go with 12" tall clerestory sides. A friend kindly checked some dimensions from the plans of the modernized version of this car that were published in the July/August 1989 Gazette (C&S #1)...and this verified that I'd guestimated some of the dimensions correctly. It is handy to study standard practices!

Here are the 210 pieces of the clerestory sides ready for assembly:


A little less than an hour later, here's one of the two sides:


I've designed this in a simpler maner than the sides since I intend to duplicate this in resin...the windows are not openable nor have the type of complicated/prototypical construction that I'd normally use.

Doing a bit a research over the weekend, I determined that in addition to baggage cars #40 and #41, three other cars can use this same roof. #40 & #41 were 34' long, 8' wide, and had 9' body/roof heights. #6 had the same roof profile and identical dimensions, only the clerestory window patern was slightly different (it was a combine); similarly, coach #7 and chair car #8 were 40'4" long, 8' wide, 9' tall, and had the same roof profile and clerestory window layout. So I'll be able to squeeze 5 cars out of this roof (I'll use three of the roof castings to make the two roofs for #7 & #8). I'll have to see if it is possible for me to widen this roof for use on #45 which was 34' long, 9' tall, and 8'2" wide...with a very different clerestory window pattern.

No comments: