Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Box steps

I've been working on box steps. My waycar, paycar, baggage car, and coaches all need them. They need to be slightly different sizes for each...and my waycar needs ones that are a slightly different shape. I've cut out enough parts for the first three sets...the waycar, baggage car, and paycar. I haven't checked to see what shape they'll need to be for the Barney & Smith coaches. Since I can build my own, I can't just settle for what is commercially available!

Photobucket
Here's the sheet I've used for most of the sides of the box steps. The reverse curved sides are for passenger cars. The simpler ones are for the waycar. I studied every photo I could of the 13' waycars to get the shape correct. The earlier cars had strap steps...and I believe that they were both longer than these as well as painted red instead of a light color (I prefer white).

Here's one set of the passenger car cutouts along with the baggage car:
Photobucket
I decided not to put too much effort into the floor of the baggage car. I'm on the fence as to whether or not add a lamp and interior at this point. I may start the roof next.

Here's what it looked like before I added the floor but after glazing the windows:
Photobucket

Here are the waycar box steps under construction:
Photobucket

The first two sets have been installed, so just the above two need to be completed:
Photobucket
Don't be deceived by the photo. The two are nearly identical in size...almost spot on in every dimension...and they should be. For the cupola car is C&S 1006...which was either DSP&P #72 or #73 before being modernized...and the waycar is the series which included the #72 or #73.

My next waycar will make up for the deficiencies in that car. I'm planning to add #69...a 13' waycar that was red with black lettering (#72 was white with black lettering) and then a #64 which will be a 15' car with white lettering...strap steps, and less grab irons.

No comments: