Tuesday, June 9, 2009

1st door for the baggage car

I haven't been doing much modeling. We have had a guest in our house for the past few weeks...and I'm more inclined to visit (she is from China, so we are ambassadors of sorts) than build trains. I'm not introverted as my long posts imply...

The head end car received its first of 8 doors this evening...8 doors. 8 windows, plus 8 doors with 20 windows in those doors.
Photobucket

I converted my $69 On30 2-8-0 into an On3 2-8-0.
Photobucket

I also swapped out the wood burner stack for the conventional stack (and coil springs for the tender trucks). It runs nicely on my layout.
Photobucket

What shall she be?
Photobucket
Probably OR&L #36...I prefer it slightly over the other similar 50ton 2-8-0s the OR&L had. Yet, SG&N #34 is pretty close to and I've got a soft spot for the Mears lines.
Photobucket
I'll have to get a second one for the SG&N/SN/WP&Y #34


I have 5 name plate ovals ready for my passenger cars. I'm going to make a mold and cast resin duplicates of them:
Photobucket
Also pictured there are the formers for my HO lightweight passenger car roofs...the 1940 AAR contour minus and inch or two for the actual roof material. The name plate shown is before the edge was added.

I had a production line a few weeks back and produced 3 sets of Colorado Central trucks. One pair has been mounted under the 1872 23' Colorado Central underframe I built a couple years ago.
Photobucket

While I was at it, I mounted the trucks under a few of my other cars (specifically the CC lime car and the DSP&P flat car).
Photobucket

I put my waycar under the knife and fixed the crooked pedestal which caused only three of the wheels to touch the rail at once...that led to adding the second layer to the roof and will lead to continuing my work on the brake gear.

1 comment:

TFN5459 said...

Are you planning to do just counterweighted drivers as opposed to external counterweights on the Bachmann 2-8-0. I am planning to build OR&L 76/98 and I am curious as to how you are going to deal with that.