Thursday, January 22, 2009

A quick update

In the past couple of days, three packages have arrived. First, a Grandt Line On3 gondola arrived. It totaled $19.80 on ebay. Then today, I received two packages: the long awaited motor for my 2-8-0 project and a Bachmann Big Hauler chassis for Liam's F scale "trainset".

The Chassis isn't quite as complete as I was expecting (the bottom panel is missing), but that doesn't bother me. I sort of suspect that whomever sold it to me, replaced it with a Barry's Big Trains chassis. I don't care. It was cheaper than getting a full 4-6-0...and I would have junked the rest of it anyway. My goal is to turn it into a Colorado Central mogul by either Christmas or possibly even by Liam's birthday.

Now that the motor for the 2-8-0 has arrived, I ought to get back to work on it. I need to figure out what sort of gear tower to get. It has a gearhead, so I'll probably get some sort of 1:1 ratio gear tower such as that made by Grandt Line and Precision Scale. After the mechanism is performing flawlessly, I'll continue on with the rest of the locomotive.

The Grandt Line gon was cheap and I've long wanted one. The price was right and it goes with the 4 car C&S freight train in service already. I plan on adding a boxcar and reefer this year...which will turn it into a 7 car freight train: 2 stock, 1 flat, 1 coal car (gon), 1 boxcar, 1 reefer, and 1 caboose.

No comments: