Monday, January 5, 2009

Continuing the sides



I caught Mr. Pumpkin reading the Rainbow Route. Every once in a while, I'll catch him reading a railroad book. He always has excellent taste in books: The Mineral Belt Vol. II, Mac Poor, etc. Before him, I didn't know that cats were literate.


I've installed the 28 panes needed for two of the car sides. I still intend to add a few trim pieces on the backsides. I'll then need to make the ovals, the fascias, and the interior sheathing.

Here are the panes, as the glue dried. 14 have been installed at this point. Installation involves trimming and sanding off any extra glue, and sanding to fit in place.

All of the panes have been prepped for assembly, and 28 installed. Also pictured are the car sides for a 26' Litchfield boxcar which I hand scribed back on my birthday before Christmas.

The South Park used 5" boards with a groove down the middle. The "edge" scribes are scribed deeper than the "groove" scribes, this in person gives the same appearance as the siding seen in close ups of the actual cars.

The little man spent part of the time on my lap as I prepped the windows...until he needed his diaper changed.

I'm currently fighting the urge to work on freight cars...specifically freight car patterns for trying out my new resin. I will definitely be casting the Bowers, Dure & Co cars...as there were 6 of them. 2 of these were rebuilt into baggage cars in 1884. In C&S years, they became backup cars...and had been rebuilt with bullnose roofs. I have plans for the later configuration, and am preparing plans for their earlier roofs (similar to the first J&S cars for the Rio Grande). I plan to cast parts for 4-6 coaches and 2-3 combines. Because the moulds will be good for 40+ coaches and 20+ combines, I'm inclined to sell the extras as I know that a few other South Park modelers would like to add these cars...and they are of a classic early design.

No comments: