Wednesday, December 10, 2008

40 sides nearing completion

#40s sides are coming along nicely. I spent a pair of hours on the pair of sides. I examined the only known photos of either #40, 41, or 45 (nearly identical in photos...subtle differences in clerestory windows, width, and such). This helped me to determine how I was to cut the fascia. The coaches are awaiting my decision to give them either 6" or 7.5" Fascias (probably 7.5").

I then cut to fit and installed the sides of window frames. My new audio book, Retribution, is quite fascinating. I covers the last year of the Pacific War...but not in the usual sense...I don't really need to know how many shells the Adm Jesse Oldendorf's squadron fired on a particular occasion, but I am interested in the experience of the average Japanese soldier, the British soldier in Burma, and the Chinese civilian in Manchuko. This book gives me the latter.

Here is #40's sides...with only the center door frame, fixed window panes, and interior walls to complete. Then I'll build a pair of ends and slap the body together. I rejoice that this car doesn't have a dropping bullnose roof or end windows. I hate the former and don't care for the latter. I'm really looking forward to all the simple duckbills (child's play compared to some bullnose roofes) on the Colorado Central cars. I've successfully assembled to bullnose roofes before, and there will be plenty more to come :-(

No comments: