Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Workshop moved, production continues



Hurray for Lisa! She found my missing plans. They included drawings of the Pitkin depot on the DSP&P (which I'd started building months ago), the Almont depot of the D&RG (the coolest depot on the D&RG), a C&S flanger, and D&RG #1. The Almont depot will be a rustic fishing depot opposite the aisle from the Pitkin depot which will sit in between the team track and the wye.

Earlier this week, while Lisa took a nap, I moved the company shops from the kitchen and dining room tables to the loft, adjacent the layout.

I drilled out the rods for the 2-8-0 and it rolls smoothly (a pleasant surprise). smoother than my commercially produced locomotives.



I then checked a pair of domes that I picked up from Precision Scale a few years ago only to determine that they are too small for my 2-8-0. Instead, I'll be making resin duplicates of the domes on my 35yr old Cooke 2-6-0...they are spot on. The smoke stack will be a casting Lisa gave me for my birthday last year (from Coronado). I've had plenty of unhappiness in the past from dealing with alumilite resin...mostly in an ill fated attempt to duplicate truck side frames (it is faster, easier, and more reliable to just form them from styrene). These should be easier...and I don't need as many.



I also added the weight and deck to my 26' 1878 flat car. This, along with the assembled 27' coal car, were built with a hidden pocket for the weight. This caused some slight problems and I won't be doing this again. Eliminating the intermediate sills and putting the weights in their place is better. I'll use a bit of weathering to tone down the rainbow look of the deck.



Here's the piles of ready to use, stained but not weathered, and distressed but not stained lumber for the trestle.

No comments: