Sunday, October 26, 2008

All in a Saturday & Sunday-s work

I spent most of the non-church time this weekend working on four cars...a flat car, a lime car, a stock car, and the waycar.

I added a bunch of hardware that was fabricated from stryene and brass. I also painted the stock car and the lime car.

The time went fast, for Saturday I listened to the first 8 cds of the book 1776 (I love audio books). 1776 is principly a narative of the American Revolution from late 1775 through the end of 1776 as Generals Washington, Howe, Green, Knox, Lee, and Clinton saw it. I also slipped in a cd of Adams vs. Jefferson which is regarding the election of 1800. I really enjoy understanding what information the leaders have and how they act on it.

I started this flat car a long time ago. I added the brake gear today...some of which is invisible in this image. The prototype was built in 1878 with hardware from Barney & Smith.

This stock car received a ton of work: doors were fabricated & installed, the corner braces were added with poling pockets (round things), the grab irons underneath were added, all the door hardware (which is tough to fabricate), the end blocks, and a few odds and ends. I also, obviously, painted her Tuscan Red.

The prototype was, well, I can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I want to say 1880. She was probably assembled in the South Park's or UP's shops with hardware from the Litchfield Car Co (as her hardware appeared to be the same as the 400 litchfield cars that the road had).

This is a lime car. Since lime doesn't like rain, it was covered. It was built by the Colorado Central around 1880. It is the shortest freight car I've built so far, 24'. A nice car.

the waycar is tough to photograph due to being white. I built additional parts to the running gear (suspension) and completed the end hand rails. All the difficult steps are now complete.

No comments: